Saturday, December 31, 2011

Elijah's Testimony

Growing up with the typical “Christian” mindset, it was always easy to do the “right” thing, live a good moral life, and do good works. Sunday school consisted of telling Bible stories and how they could be applicable in our lives. Prayer, devotion to reading the Bible, and going to church were key elements of being a “good” Christian. It seemed as if Christianity was just one big algorithm. As time went on, I lived the same, dull, ritualistic life. I went to school, church, and youth group. Although my life seemed to be full of activity, I felt as if I were wasting my life.

My Christian walk changed when my family did a DTS (Disciple Training School) with an organization called YWAM (Youth with a Mission). We trained for 3 months in Hawaii and spent 2 months in Brazil reaching out to the local community about God. During our training in Hawaii, I learned a lesson I will never forget. I was taught that as creations of God, we have the right and the tools to talk and listen to God’s voice. That’s when my spiritual journey started to improve. I talked to God as if He were right next to me. Because we did the DTS as a family, my family always kept me accountable and prayed with me while listening to God’s voice. I realized that Christianity was not about doing good works but about having an intimate relationship with our personal Lord and Savior.

My family has always been there to support me and remind me of the love God has for me. My Mom and Dad always had the answers when I was in doubt or had a question. Whenever people would attack and question my faith, I would always ask my parents how to respond. However, I knew there would be a time when my parents would not be there to help me defend my faith, so I did a two week training course through Summit Christian Worldview. I learned about different world views and how to defend my faith. They taught me Biblical content that will help me rebuttal a lot of other world views and knowledge on how to approach people who question what I believe.

I realize that each of us has a destiny. God created us uniquely and for a purpose. He gives us passions and abilities that we are to use to make a difference in this world. I am passionate about tennis and teaching, and I hope to use my passion to influence lives. I am not 100% sure what I want to do in life, but I want to bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit and exemplify Christ wherever I am. I hope that as Christ is in me, I am able to change my environment so it reflects more of God’s Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment